Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The time between successive meridian transits of the sun at a particular place.
twenty-four-hour period, full day, twenty-four hours, working dayView synonyms
- ‘Your operations duty time started one solar day ago.’
- ‘Hence, saying that a 5000-kg dinosaur has to avoid the sun means that it has to reduce radiative heat load during a whole solar day.’
- ‘Its eccentricity and inclination are greater than those of any other planet except Pluto, but its unique feature is that the year is actually shorter than the solar day!’
- ‘It is a planet with an unusual rotation rate, such that the solar day on Mercury lasts two Earth years.’
- ‘Either timer will enable you to determine, with great accuracy, how long it takes for the Sun to revolve around the Earth: the solar day.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.