One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to or denoting plants of the nightshade family (Solanaceae).
- ‘To date, systemin has been described for tomato only, and not even for other solanaceous plants such as tobacco.’
- ‘Tropane alkaloids of medicinal application, such as hyoscyamine and scopolamine are found in a limited number of solanaceous plants.’
- ‘In general, it is not a good practice to plant brambles immediately after solanaceous or other Verticillium-susceptible crops, such as tomatoes, potatoes, peppers, eggplant, melons, strawberries and other related crops.’
- ‘Leaves of solanaceous species, such as potato and tobacco, contain substantial activities of cytosolic NADP-ME.’
- ‘In addition to being a candidate for the ancestor of garden petunias, as mentioned above, P. inflata is also an important experimental model system for studies of solanaceous self-incompatibility.’
Early 19th century: from modern Latin Solanaceae (plural), based on Latin solanum ‘nightshade’ + -ous.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.