One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
usually treated as singular The branch of science concerned with the properties and behavior of soil as they affect its use in civil engineering.
- ‘In this work, the percolation approach is used for explaining the behavior phenomenon of soil consolidation, one of the many phenomena encountered in soil mechanics.’
- ‘Work was under the supervision of Dr. E. Farrell, Senior Lecturer in soil mechanics and hydraulics at the University of Dublin.’
- ‘Expanding specialist areas of applied geology have included hydrogeology, soil mechanics, rock mechanics, and engineering geology.’
- ‘It's actually the cradle of soil mechanics and foundation engineering in many respects with some of the older structures in that city, dating back to the 19th century.’
- ‘Over the next twenty years he was posted to a variety of different places where he was involved in engineering, in structural design, fortifications, soil mechanics, and many other areas.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.