One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Self-styled; so-called.‘a soi-disant novelist’
inappropriately namedView synonyms
- ‘Being a man of a soi-disant literary bent, he marched in the parade with the James Joyce Reading Society of Denver.’
- ‘In exquisitely-accented French he points out that none of the names on the list are remotely French: they must all be Anglo-Saxons (pronounced with dismissive contempt) who will try to put on soi-disant French accents.’
- ‘I don't know whether to count this as one or two errors by the soi-disant ‘official’ proofreader of San Bloggio, but this time she has stuck her big toe in the light socket.’
- ‘Now, we must ask whether that's a soi-disant worldview, said Q, who lunched with me frequently.’
- ‘When I got to Telluride, I had hoped to find people as angry and ill-informed and passionate as I had been when I was a soi-disant freak, back during a time of bloody, frightening confrontation.’
- ‘I have this very day taxied my soi-disant mother-in-law to the train station and thus regained internet access.’
- ‘Finally the soi-disant mind reader announced that my ‘real intention was to influence their [St Lucians] thinking.’’
- ‘Her third husband, Josef, the soi-disant Baron Freytag-Loringhoven, gives her a taste of the high life, gambles away his money, then disappears.’
- ‘The soi-disant near-death experience has provoked all manner of concerned response, for which thanks.’
- ‘Music has always had a tendency to glance back over its shoulder at the past, but the last few years has seen an unabashed spate of revivalism, from 60s garage rock posturing to the soi-disant Electro Clash phenomenon.’
- ‘Set in a soi-disant boarding house in a seaside town, The Birthday Party has the feel, off the top, of a slightly absurdist comedy.’
- ‘But being designed by the soi-disant world's greatest advertising industry, it couldn't be as simple as that.’
French, from soi ‘oneself’ + disant ‘saying’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.