Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1In a careful and gentle manner.‘John kissed Cynthia softly and tenderly’‘she softly brushed the tears away’
- ‘She was lying perfectly still, looking at me with eyes wide open, and softly patting her sister with her free hand.’
- ‘One by one she demonstrated her appreciation by softly stroking their hands.’
- ‘Memory foam molds itself to the shape of your sole, while padded deerskin uppers softly cradle the rest.’
- ‘He touches softly at his guitar in that electric samba style, and his breathy croon winds the melody in and out of the occasional low swell of horns.’
- ‘I softly held the lily to my nose so I could smell it.’
- 1.1 With a quiet and gentle voice or sound.‘he whispered softly in my ear’‘the TV was murmuring softly’‘a softly spoken woman’
- ‘At the close, he switches back to the minor, violins softly reiterating the sad opening motive like a threnody of distilled passion.’
- ‘From behind her door came the sound of a man singing an old country song, the guitar strumming softly in the background.’
- ‘From the first softly sonorous piano tones, Bronfman played with a fierce passion that was riveting.’
- ‘There are moments when he looks her in the eye and speaks to her softly in his language.’
- ‘The intimacy and air of mystery are conveyed through stolen glances and the softly spoken entreaties.’
- 1.2 In a pleasantly subdued manner.‘the softly glowing fire’‘candlelight softly lit the restaurant’
- ‘As she cries at the blackboard, the camera softly frames the sunshine in her red hair, caresses like the palm of a hand.’
- ‘A large oculus brings a cylinder of light down into the main library, bathing the interior in a softly luminous glow.’
- ‘She effortlessly keeps a delicate, softly humorous tone throughout the film.’
- ‘The interior of the temple is softly illuminated by daylight filtering through perforated screens on the eastern walls.’
- ‘Havana itself is an attraction, softly radiating the exoticism of an old city emerging from ruins.’
- 1.3 In a smooth and gradual manner.‘softly undulating hills’‘her softly rounded belly’
- ‘For a playful hairstyle, add any type of texture you like, from softly waved to super-coiled.’
- ‘The shimmering, sparkling Gulf waters have you, softly rolling up and down, up and down, up and down.’
- ‘Within an exterior of stone and glass is a softly curving interior of wood veneer panels that virtually embrace the congregants.’
- ‘He hurried toward her across the field of endless green and softly swaying daisies.’
- ‘Its softly rippled surface is comforting against my cheek.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.