One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A substance or device that softens something, especially a fabric softener.
- ‘It's not true that colouring causes loss of hair and leaves the hair dry - with use of correct shampoos and softeners, you can keep your hair healthy.’
- ‘Bubble gums are made of sugar, corn syrup, flavours, softeners and latex or plastic.’
- ‘Residues from fabric softeners, as well as the fragrances commonly used in them, can be irritating to susceptible people.’
- ‘For a natural fabric softener, soak garments overnight in a solution of one part vinegar to three parts water, then rinse well in clear water before washing.’
- ‘Modern household softeners have an automatic backwash or regeneration cycle to clean off the salt and allow it to resume its task.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.