One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Speaking or said with a gentle, quiet voice.
- ‘On second thought, Allison and Heuer are gentle, soft-spoken people, not given to such language.’
- ‘He is soft-spoken, has a gentle sense of humour, speaks well and clearly and thoughtfully.’
- ‘I quickly settled in with my gentle, smiling, soft-spoken family.’
- ‘A soft-spoken voice is heard on the overhead speakers, reciting some poetic text.’
- ‘As Katrina, she is soft-spoken and gentle, a romantic young woman waiting for a suitable suitor.’
- ‘Physically tiny, soft-spoken and apparently modest, the priest displayed an extraordinary physical and moral courage.’
- ‘Calgarians have embraced the soft-spoken Ronnie as their own by tracking him down to hear him play his rootsy tunes around town.’
- ‘People who know the soft-spoken 24-year-old say his modesty stems from his childhood.’
- ‘She was quite shy with strange people, quiet and soft-spoken.’
- ‘Always sporting a white shirt and jeans, with gray hair, he is soft-spoken, rather shy and very well-mannered.’
- ‘He stands apart in today's world of high competition and conflict, with his soft-spoken and unassuming nature.’
- ‘A soft-spoken voice echoed behind me while I was still trying to figure out why Joe was giving me that glare.’
- ‘He was an incredibly soft-spoken person who radiated power in a gentle way.’
- ‘However, he markedly improves in his soft-spoken soliloquies, as he brings a genuine depth of feeling in conveying his domestic torpor.’
- ‘He is a large man with a thick black beard and the quiet, soft-spoken manner of someone who has spent much of his life reading.’
- ‘A first look reveals a shy, soft-spoken personality who can only speak Tamil and a little bit broken Hindi and English.’
- ‘The soft-spoken musician said he was also practising hard with his musician friends in Kabwe just to keep in shape musically.’
- ‘His soft-spoken voice is in harmony with his words, which are as much about feeling as reasoning.’
- ‘Ganguli comes across as a gentle, soft-spoken person with a brilliant smile.’
- ‘He has created a soft-spoken and gentle Barrie who is the boy who never grew up, yet never seems grotesque.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.