One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Speaking or said with a gentle, quiet voice.
- ‘A soft-spoken voice is heard on the overhead speakers, reciting some poetic text.’
- ‘She was quite shy with strange people, quiet and soft-spoken.’
- ‘His soft-spoken voice is in harmony with his words, which are as much about feeling as reasoning.’
- ‘He was an incredibly soft-spoken person who radiated power in a gentle way.’
- ‘A first look reveals a shy, soft-spoken personality who can only speak Tamil and a little bit broken Hindi and English.’
- ‘Calgarians have embraced the soft-spoken Ronnie as their own by tracking him down to hear him play his rootsy tunes around town.’
- ‘People who know the soft-spoken 24-year-old say his modesty stems from his childhood.’
- ‘A soft-spoken voice echoed behind me while I was still trying to figure out why Joe was giving me that glare.’
- ‘He stands apart in today's world of high competition and conflict, with his soft-spoken and unassuming nature.’
- ‘Ganguli comes across as a gentle, soft-spoken person with a brilliant smile.’
- ‘He has created a soft-spoken and gentle Barrie who is the boy who never grew up, yet never seems grotesque.’
- ‘I quickly settled in with my gentle, smiling, soft-spoken family.’
- ‘However, he markedly improves in his soft-spoken soliloquies, as he brings a genuine depth of feeling in conveying his domestic torpor.’
- ‘As Katrina, she is soft-spoken and gentle, a romantic young woman waiting for a suitable suitor.’
- ‘The soft-spoken musician said he was also practising hard with his musician friends in Kabwe just to keep in shape musically.’
- ‘He is soft-spoken, has a gentle sense of humour, speaks well and clearly and thoughtfully.’
- ‘Always sporting a white shirt and jeans, with gray hair, he is soft-spoken, rather shy and very well-mannered.’
- ‘On second thought, Allison and Heuer are gentle, soft-spoken people, not given to such language.’
- ‘He is a large man with a thick black beard and the quiet, soft-spoken manner of someone who has spent much of his life reading.’
- ‘Physically tiny, soft-spoken and apparently modest, the priest displayed an extraordinary physical and moral courage.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.