Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A freshwater turtle with a flattened leathery shell, native to Asia, Africa, and North America.
- ‘Superficially, softshells can be distinguished by their dorsoventral compression, leathery shells, and elongate snout.’
- ‘Additionally, we question whether it is possible for softshell turtles to reach the Hudson River via the Erie Canal from Oneida Lake in a span of four years.’
- ‘While hiking, canoeing, kayaking, or eating a picnic lunch, watch for Gulf Coast spiny softshell turtles, loggerhead shrikes, pileated woodpeckers, Seminole bats, and spotted salamanders.’
- ‘The Carettochelyidae are most closely related to the Trionychidae (softshell turtles).’
- ‘Other turtles identified were softshell (Apalone sp.) and snapping turtles (Chelydra sp.).’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.