One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A marine bivalve mollusk with a thin shell and a long siphon, valued as food on the east coast of North America.
Genus Mya, family Myidae, especially M. arenaria
- ‘Fried clams are made from deep fried softshell clams, with the ‘bellies on them’.’
- ‘Commercial harvesting of softshell clams shall not take place on Wednesdays, Saturdays, and/or Sundays.’
- ‘The Edgartown harbor is known for its productive shellfish beds, from the bay scallop beds in the outer harbor to the quahaugs, softshell clams and more bay scallops in upper Katama Bay.’
- ‘The softshell clam is a cousin of the hardshell clam.’
- ‘Like many bivalves, softshell clams are sensitive to bacterial pollution and outbreaks of ‘red tide.’’
- ‘She recently published a paper on saxitoxin resistance in softshell clams in Nature.’
- ‘On the east coast of North America the softshell clam ranges from the Labrador region to Cape Hatteras.’
- ‘The principal shellfish resources available for recreational harvest in the Bellamy River are softshell clams and American oysters.’
- ‘Likewise, the fragile shell of eastern softshell clams makes them poor candidates for surviving.’
- ‘Researchers found that softshell clams in areas frequently affected by harmful algal blooms are more resistant to PSTs than clams from other areas.’
- ‘They are then ready for a clambake, to become steamed softshell clams, or for use in certain clam chowders and clam pies.’
- ‘The widespread tissue lysis often observed in oysters heavily infected with P.marinus has not been observed in softshell clams infected with Perkinsus species.’
- ‘Many benthic organisms, such as hard clams, softshell clams and bottom-dwelling fish, are the basis of the Bay's commercial fisheries.’
- ‘Seasons for softshell clams and oysters are currently closed.’
- ‘Most of these species range from the Bering Sea, Norton Sound, and the Aleutian Islands in Alaska to California and Baja, Mexico, except the truncated softshell clam, which ranges from the Beaufort Sea to Washington State.’
- ‘Transmission of the disease in the field to transplanted naïve M. arenaria was not achieved by cohabitation with affected softshell clams.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.