One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Lacking wisdom or intelligence.
- ‘Equally important, he is not soft-headed about Africa's problems.’
- ‘That isn't soft-headed - it's honorable.’
- ‘Schweitzer was no soft-headed do-gooder but a strong-minded, short-tempered, workaholic autocrat, who slept only four hours a night and whom people hesitated to cross.’
- ‘Loyalty to the group requires that members not raise embarrassing questions, attack weak arguments, or counter soft-headed thinking with hard facts.’
- ‘Even though through university I have discovered there are a lot more fundamentalists than I thought, I have met one or two other people who share my annoyance with what I call soft-headed thinking.’
- ‘I was trying to speak up on behalf of the unjustly stigmatized, but I was treated as if I were some kind of soft-headed liberal spam lover.’
- ‘In the film that crashed to shore this summer, none of this soft-headed nonsense about fate and sorcery is permitted.’
- ‘Also, when Dembski is wielding his equations, he gets to play the part of the hard scientist busily correcting the errors of those soft-headed biologists.’
- ‘This is the William Morris school of socialism, generally derided as being soft-headed, old-fashioned and fantastical.’
- ‘Too often those who advocate for openness and tolerance get dismissed as soft-headed or naive, and they can be.’
- ‘Peter Farbridge is physically commanding as Macbeth - obviously a fine actor - but a little too soft and soft-headed here.’
- ‘I found Bellamy's notions of how society could so easily be remade and then perpetuated in its idealized form more than a little soft-headed (says she, full of twenty-first-century cynicism).’
- ‘As a nation we may take pride in the fact that we are soft-hearted; but we cannot afford to be soft-headed.’
- ‘The academic curriculum in the late 1950s, featured large doses of both hard-nosed and soft-headed psychology.’
- ‘He becomes literally soft-headed as he absorbs the romance that will inspire his errant journeying.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.