One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A long upholstered seat with a back and arms, for two or more people.
settee, couch, divan, chaise longue, love seat, chesterfield, knole sofaView synonyms
- ‘Move furniture such as beds, sofas and chairs away from windows to prevent children climbing up and falling out.’
- ‘Come daylight, I decided to try the first class bar with its rows of squishy green velveteen sofas and tatty carpet.’
- ‘In ancient times, people who were free reclined on sofas while they ate.’
- ‘With wooden flooring and large comfortable sofas, it offers a modern atmosphere but with a cosy, homely feel.’
- ‘It's a lovely, beamed, cosy room with two giant sofas, an antique coffee table and a large television.’
- ‘Visitors can sit on the old chairs and sofas, pick up the books from the shelves and play the old board games.’
- ‘The walls were a deep white with a cream carpet that matched the sofa and two chairs.’
- ‘Sometimes I like an armchair, but with a sofa you can be really lazy and sprawl all over it.’
- ‘Don't choose sofas and chairs at the end of a long shopping trip - anything will feel comfortable!’
- ‘There are nooks and crannies to hide in, long sofas to stretch out on, and high or low chairs to choose from.’
- ‘There were two sofas, and three armchairs scattered around a glass coffee table.’
- ‘Place throw blankets casually over chairs and sofas for your loved ones to cuddle up in.’
- ‘As the wind howled in the chimney, we sat on a sofa in front of a roaring fireplace.’
- ‘The main room has eight walls, which are lined with dark sofas, between the doorways, blending into the walls.’
- ‘A spacious wooden desk was placed at one end of the room, and sofas and chairs at the other.’
- ‘With its riverside setting and comfy leather sofas to sink into, the atmosphere is sophisticated yet relaxed.’
- ‘The sofas were white with green stripes running vertically downward.’
- ‘Upstairs there is a function room with large sofas and a big screen TV as well.’
- ‘This room is of a generous size and there is plenty of space for sofas, chairs and a dining table.’
- ‘The children sat back on their armchairs and sofas and settled back to their thinking.’
Early 17th century: from French, based on Arabic ṣuffa.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.