One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The chemical element of atomic number 11, a soft silver-white reactive metal of the alkali metal group.
Sodium is a common element in the earth's crust, notably as rock salt (sodium chloride). Sodium compounds have many industrial and other uses, and the liquid metal is used as a coolant in some types of nuclear reactor
- ‘Note that this amount of sodium exceeds that typically available in commercial beverages.’
- ‘By law, the amount of sodium must be stated in grams on the label.’
- ‘Glauconite is close in composition to muscovite but has some iron, magnesium, sodium, and calcium.’
- ‘It's important to cut down on salt because salt contains sodium and having too much sodium can raise blood pressure.’
- ‘For example, lithium, sodium, and potassium comprised a triad of soft, highly reactive metals.’
- ‘Calcium helps to build up good soil structure, sodium causes breakdown and dispersion of the aggregates.’
- ‘Compare like items and choose the one with less fat and sodium and fewer calories.’
- ‘Diuretics reduce fluid retention in the body by encouraging the removal of salts such as potassium and sodium from the blood.’
- ‘The salts of sodium and potassium are the main providers of the osmotic strength of body fluids.’
- ‘Too much sodium makes the body excrete calcium, threatening bone density and strength.’
- ‘While sodium tends to put blood pressure up, potassium tends to bring it down.’
- ‘Finally, one of the more esoteric chemical markers to be found in ice cores is sodium.’
- ‘These will include blood samples to find out levels of sodium, chloride, potassium and urea.’
- ‘He worked on light metal alloys and the electrolytic production of potassium and sodium.’
- ‘Empty calories, fat and sodium deliver a triple whammy that is the downfall of many.’
- ‘In the body, it is essential to keep levels of sodium and potassium in balance.’
- ‘The second most abundant ion was potassium, followed by sodium, magnesium, manganese and iron.’
- ‘The beneficial effects of potassium and the harmful effects of sodium have recently received attention.’
- ‘There is no reason to consume a lot of sodium, so choose and prepare foods with less sodium.’
- ‘The means by which sodium enters plants is still poorly understood.’
Early 19th century: from soda + -ium.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.