Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Of or containing sodium.
- ‘There are no secondary sodic phases present, and no observed albitization of potassium feldspar, suggesting only limited Na mobility.’
- ‘Its occurrence is largely restricted to relatively unusual alkalic igneous rocks, such as sodic granites, certain syenites and trachytes, and related carbonatite-bearing terranes.’
- ‘A scintillometer could make a radiometric survey at the same time which would distinguish potassic from sodic granites.’
- ‘The Lake George center, for instance, had three emplacements, one potassic, another sodic, and yet another with a mixed composition.’
- ‘First, albite is the sodic feldspar that separates from a ‘host’ potassic feldspar to form perthite.’
(of mineral, rock, or soil) containing a higher proportion of sodium than usual.
- ‘For saline and sodic soil which are more deficient in nutrients, it is necessary to apply about 20-25 per cent higher dose of ‘N’ than the normal soils.’
- ‘There is a wide range of topics which include saline, sodic, acidic, eroded, compacted, and organic soils.’
- ‘Students use standard procedures to qualify saline and sodic soils, observe salt and sodium effects on water percolation, and conduct a bioassay of incrementally-degraded soils with plants of varying salt-tolerance.’
- ‘Here we report the screening of C. arietinum genotypes for nodulation and grain-yielding ability in a sodic field over two growing seasons in order to identify genotypes with superior nodulation ability under stress.’
- ‘Improving soil tilth and permeability by adding gypsum is only accomplished in sodic soils.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.