One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Bread leavened with baking soda.
- ‘In comparison to the more traditional oaten bread, soda bread was easily prepared and decidedly more palatable especially with hot melting country butter.’
- ‘Accompany with a hearty loaf of Irish soda bread.’
- ‘Bakeries carry a variety of breads, with brown bread and white soda bread served most often with meals.’
- ‘When I visit Angela I am sat down by the glowing range and served up with a boiled egg and fresh soda bread with a thick layer of lovely yellow country butter.’
- ‘The guilds next meeting will be on Tuesday night, April 2 and the competition for the night is for the best loaf of white soda bread made from one pound of flour.’
- ‘The bread recipe is based on Irish soda bread and has been christened the ‘quickest bread recipe in the world’.’
- ‘People with yeast sensitivities frequently react better to soda bread than to most types of commercially manufactured bread made from yeast cultures.’
- ‘The soda bread is done if a fork poked into the bread comes out clean.’
- ‘The warm soda bread with raisins is a real must for getting the taste-buds warmed-up.’
- ‘All you need to round out the meal is a loaf of Irish soda bread.’
- ‘I mopped up the last few drops with some superb walnut bread and caramelised onion soda bread.’
- ‘I like to make fresh soda bread, scones and muffins, and some American visitors request pancakes for breakfast.’
- ‘While the middle and upper class could feed themselves with soda bread, apple tarts and Irish stews, the poor often would eat simply potatoes supplemented by salted herrings in winter and cabbage in summer.’
- ‘At the St Patrick's Day reception, a traditional Irish meal of Irish stew, potato cakes, soda bread and stout was served and shamrock was distributed, while members of the Traditional Music Society played Irish music.’
- ‘Charlotte, who appreciates an easy recipe that works well, passed along this Kinsale version of soda bread.’
- ‘I made a loaf of white soda bread and a batch of cheese scones for lunch on Saturday.’
- ‘Up on my Raleigh, I cycled the nine miles there from Lahardane, my bicycle clips on, my lunch of homemade soda bread and country butter in my saddlebag - I was as happy a young guard as ever was seen on the road that day.’
- ‘The first thing that springs to mind is of course the Ulster Fry, a famous dish usually comprising bacon, sausages, eggs, black or white pudding, soda bread and potato bread, all good local produce.’
- ‘Farm House Breakfast Week was established to celebrate British breakfasts, including regional variations such as Welsh pancakes, Suffolk Ham and Irish soda bread.’
- ‘The market offers a wide range of Irish gifts, including fudge, soda bread, authentic Irish turf selling for £1, Gaelic jewellery, drums and ornaments.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.