One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
as submodifier Used for emphasis.‘a brooch with a socking great diamond in the middle’
extremely, very, really, thoroughly, exceedingly, immensely, incredibly, amazingly, remarkably, exceptionally, uncommonly, extraordinarily, perfectly, truly, simply, positive, positively, downrightView synonyms
- ‘There's a socking big tap on the inlet manifold.’
- ‘Then walk five minutes to the socking great Roman arena, where they've replaced men vs. lions with men vs. bulls.’
- ‘For socking great nosefuls of scent, plant Albertine, a lovely, vigorous old climbing rose, with rich salmon-pink flowers every summer.’
- ‘The crew travels in a Biodiesel powered RV [recreational vehicle], a socking huge thing with a garage in the back half.’
- ‘Most of our summer visitors are, of course, really nice, sometimes even when they come down from London in a socking big car.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.