One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A dance for young teenagers at which they may dance in stocking feet.
- ‘Maybe going to sock hops and hanging out with friends at the mall on weekends is important to her.’
- ‘The band played at all the beach dances and high school sock hops.’
- ‘The lyrics of ‘Sixteen Tons’ detail the difficult life of a coal miner - a far cry from the relatively carefree life of shared sodas and sock hops.’
- ‘She notes that even in the romanticized 1950s-era of drive-ins, soda fountains and sock hops, many young couples had long-term relationships.’
- ‘Those who came of age in the 1950s are honestly wistful for the innocent pleasures of Perry Como, Chubby Checker, and sock hops.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.