Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The study of the development, structure, and functioning of human society.
- ‘Organizational sociology raises interesting questions about the relationship between organizations and the environments in which they operate.’
- ‘His ideas have profoundly influenced the writing and teaching of sociology and social theory around the world.’
- ‘Contemporary historical sociology is concerned above all with how the state has developed since the Middle Ages.’
- ‘The subject covers personal growth, sociology and culture, and science and technology.’
- ‘At the end of the nineteenth century, anthropology and sociology were, like history, becoming professionalized.’
- ‘These more recent museums often combine art with anthropology and sociology.’
- ‘They are concerned with the relation between structure and agency, or individual and society, which is central to sociology.’
- ‘Indeed the main theme of historical sociology is an interest in the ways in which societies develop through history.’
- ‘Interestingly, these two chapters refer to Feagin as developing a new urban sociology.’
- ‘The hot topics now involve the integration of economics with psychology and sociology.’
- ‘Adorno is undoubtedly the most important figure in the development of the sociology of music in the 20th century.’
- ‘Anthropology follows one set of standards, while sociology opts for another.’
- ‘Major social sciences today are economics, political science, anthropology, and sociology.’
- ‘The theoretical tradition in sociology known as symbolic interactionism has also been regarded by many writers as a further influence.’
- ‘He has blended scientific approach and analysis in his studies of the soul and sociology of the folk arts of Kerala.’
- ‘Mainstream sociology departments already have studies of the family.’
- ‘I personally believe psychology, politics, sociology and economics make up what we know to be political science.’
- ‘A fairly large chunk of my sociology studies was devoted to media sociology and women's studies.’
- ‘A very popular analytical technique in psychology and sociology is factor analysis.’
- ‘To look at studies and scholars in the sociology of religion demonstrates the roles in structuring society that religion fulfils.’
- 1.1 The study of social problems.
- ‘This curriculum first introduces middle school aged children to the history, psychology and sociology of prejudice and discrimination.’
- ‘A sociology of violence in the schools is primarily a sociology of exclusion.’
- ‘Best devotes considerable energy to situating himself in the historiography of the sociology of deviance and social control.’
Mid 19th century: from French sociologie (see socio-, -logy).
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.