Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
treated as singular A scientific discipline that attempts to find the genetic basis of social behavior and its evolution.
- ‘I present a new theory - sociogenomics - to replace behavioralism and rational choice as the salient paradigm of political science inquiry.’
- ‘Finally, I outline major questions in social evolution that can be addressed for the first time using a sociogenomic approach, highlight practical considerations in sociogenomics and discuss suitable model systems for future research on the molecular basis of sociality.’
- ‘He is a member of two research teams at the University of Illinois, one exploring the dynamics of sociogenomics (the study of genes coding for social behavior) and the other investigating the parameters of stem cell research.’
- ‘A. mellifera was chosen as the first species of the order Hymenoptera to be sequenced because of its potential impact on sociogenomics.’
- ‘‘To use the honey bee as a model for sociogenomics, and to link molecular information to neurochemical and physiological data, we first must know the identities of the peptides used in the brain and the genes they are encoded by,’ Sweedler said.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.