Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The branch of science that deals with the interactions among the members of a species, and between them and the environment.
- ‘Identifying the factors that influence primate variability at the subspecific level can lead to more effective models for the evolution of primate socioecology.’
- ‘An exemplary work of socioecology from two of the world's best-known gorilla biologists, ‘Gorilla Society’ will be a landmark study on a par with the work of George Schaller - a synthesis of existing research on these remarkable animals and the societies in which they live.’
- ‘The recent proliferation of long-term mammalian studies over broad geographic areas and taxa as diverse as carnivores, ungulates, and primates provided considerable insights into the socioecology of mammalian groups.’
- ‘Adaptive socioecology rests on the notion that social systems can change rapidly in response to a novel ecology.’
- ‘To achieve this we also need a new understanding of human socioecology - one that cherishes our own diversity rather than exploiting it through hierarchies of state, race, class, and gender.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.