One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Work carried out by trained personnel with the aim of alleviating the conditions of those in need of help or welfare.
- ‘He has no training in social work and denied the town had a problem until his own family suffered a drug-related death.’
- ‘Clearly more research is needed to clarify the potential contributions of social work to chronic disease management.’
- ‘It is neither political ambition nor the desire to win awards that tempted him to take to active social work.’
- ‘Her stint at a publishing firm did not last long, perhaps because she was always innately attuned to social work.’
- ‘She was housebound in her third floor flat and cared for by a devoted husband who accepted little help from social work or community nursing.’
- ‘She was critical of social work as it was being defined within an increasingly bureaucratic culture.’
- ‘She gained her first degree in psychology and second in psychiatry and clinical social work.’
- ‘Rehabilitative measures are supposed to lie in the domain of charitable social work.’
- ‘Henry's been helping develop the field of social work in Bulgaria for the past few years.’
- ‘Clare Britton began her career in social work in 1941 with troubled evacuees in an Oxfordshire hostel.’
- ‘Interestingly, Shiv says his ambition is to do social work and help people.’
- ‘She said that the peace march with her father changed her perspective on life and that is when she started social work.’
- ‘Following her family's wishes Grace become involved in social work among poor people in London.’
- ‘When not studying for her degree in social work, she visits schools and community centres to spread her message.’
- ‘In social work, you're at the sharp end of dealing with people's troubles.’
- ‘Akhila Srinivas said that social work and her association with street children kept her going.’
- ‘My mother has had a number of interesting jobs, from running businesses to social work.’
- ‘The National Union of Teachers cautioned against blurring the roles between education and social work.’
- ‘This led to a 20-year career in residential social work, caring for hundreds of youngsters.’
- ‘The Scottish Executive is preparing a major recruitment campaign to attract more young people into social work.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.