One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
treated as singular Various aspects or branches of the study of human society, considered as an educational discipline.
- ‘Critics rightly point to serious flaws in some guidelines offered for the teaching of social studies.’
- ‘His numerous academic awards included diplomas in social studies and sociology.’
- ‘Teachers across disciplines will highlight math elements in history, social studies and English.’
- ‘Amish was driven towards technical drawing, geography, social studies and principles of business.’
- ‘Local health authorities or service agencies may have a needs assessment or more focused social studies of your area.’
- ‘Later that very same day in social studies, we were introduced to the concept of melting pots and mosaics.’
- ‘Advanced math and science courses were also provided as well as courses in language arts, social studies, and the arts.’
- ‘At 23, he is on the verge of completing a degree in history, politics and social studies.’
- ‘The guide will support secondary school curricula in art, English, social studies and humanities.’
- ‘The test covers rhymes in Telugu, mathematics, science and social studies.’
- ‘The programme may allow students to sample different languages, or else it may be part of a social studies or language arts unit.’
- ‘Meltzer's book is a fantastic read and makes wonderful connections between social studies and language arts.’
- ‘Leo Casey has been nationally recognized for his work teaching civics and social studies.’
- ‘Schools replaced mythology and history with the more amorphous social studies.’
- ‘As a sophomore, I asked an education professor how to get certified to teach social studies.’
- ‘At the middle school, students take language arts and social studies in Spanish.’
- ‘He used unified studies of an area, including language, social studies and art, combining all the subjects into one.’
- ‘It can be a multi-discipline project including both history and social studies.’
- ‘The council represents 26,000 teachers of history, social studies and related subjects.’
- ‘He also makes a fine case for teaching history as a separate discipline, instead of lumping it together with social studies.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.