One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A game played by two teams of eleven players with a round ball that may not be touched with the hands or arms during play except by the goalkeepers. The object of the game is to score goals by kicking or heading the ball into the opponents' goal.
association footballView synonyms
- ‘Outside of his cricket Oscar also did a bit of boxing and played soccer as a left winger in Barbados.’
- ‘In fact, I was pretty much terrible at every sport ever invented, except for soccer.’
- ‘With its big wall at one end, it was ideally laid out for a game of soccer, and games went on all day during the summer.’
- ‘He is a strong advocate of street soccer, the form of football which is played in the HWC.’
- ‘Dimitri wanted nothing to do with hockey or basketball, so he decided on soccer.’
- ‘Away from his day job Frank is involved in youth soccer and is known as a very dedicated fan.’
- ‘In high school, he played both varsity soccer and tennis and did some running.’
- ‘If soccer is not your cup of tea, you can switch to the more genteel game of tennis.’
- ‘I had gotten into varsity soccer a few weeks ago, and I was excited to continue practice.’
- ‘There is simply no argument that at this level of play, soccer is truly the sport of the planet.’
- ‘He slowed down to a walk and saw children playing soccer with a battered ball.’
- ‘There is rough play, even dirty play, in football, basketball and soccer, but it is rare.’
- ‘They both played soccer and softball, and, as a result, got to spend a lot of time together.’
- ‘Now beach soccer, and other sandy versions of team sports are on the rise.’
- ‘In other words it is more a middle class sport in Argentina with soccer the working class sport.’
- ‘One area that has seen an explosion of interest is women's soccer.’
- ‘He loved to play soccer when he was young, but his elementary school did not have a team.’
- ‘Youngsters learned new experiences such as blind soccer using audible footballs.’
- ‘The team will be playing indoor soccer and the medal presentation will be held afterwards.’
- ‘Major team sports include rugby, soccer and cricket for boys and hockey and netball for girls.’
Late 19th century: shortening of Assoc + -er.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.