Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Calypso music with elements of soul, originally from Trinidad.
- ‘Calypso and soca music sway the body of festive dancers to a mixture of Afro-Caribbean rhythms with witty lyrics and heavy metal or finely tuned steel drums.’
- ‘Reality is that soca has overtaken the role of calypso rooted in fundamental mid-20th century style.’
- ‘Citizens had assembled with their coolers and chairs as they revelled to the sounds of soca and calypso from the bands.’
- ‘The facility also offers a variety of music, including dance, reggae, soca and pop.’
- ‘Gone are the days when the BamBoo Club on Toronto's trendy Queen Street held sole sway over calypso and soca artists.’
- ‘The artwork and woodwork are must-haves and the local calypso and soca music featured on the CD's will give you a true taste of St Lucia.’
- ‘The talks also featured pan music and a soca demonstration by Machel Montano.’
- ‘Also giving commendable performances were calypsonian Eunice Peters, who performed the song House of Music, and petite soca diva Sherry Ann Church.’
- ‘Music trucks blasted as they moved at what seemed like one mile an hour as the revelers gyrated to soca rhythms.’
- ‘The soca music is not what I am used to but it is good.’
- ‘There are many different kinds of music within our culture: reggae, calypso, soca, dub.’
- ‘The basis of this performance highlighted the range of products at Courts and she danced to a popular Christmas soca song.’
- ‘The St Joseph's Convent Steel Band bang-started the show with calypso and soca medleys and early arrivals were invited to sample the local dishes on sale.’
- ‘Release at least one anthology of calypso and soca hits every year.’
- ‘The festival brought the complex alive as bright ribbons floated and children twirled and danced in colourful costumes to the sounds of Latin and soca music.’
- ‘Undoubtedly, the largest single leap in calypso evolution came with the 1973 debut of soca music.’
- ‘They had a nice little band playing songs of the Caribbean too, like Yellow Bird, and some Bob Marley and some of this year's soca music.’
- ‘After spending Carnival season 2005 in Port-of-Spain, I just might be able to recite all the lyrics of the top ten soca songs upon request.’
- ‘They believe more traditional forms such as calypso, reggae and soca are in danger of being overshadowed.’
- ‘Last year Bomani hit it big with his wonderfully written and performed tribute to soca music entitled ‘Who Am I’.’
1970s: blend of soul and calypso.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.