One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A sedate and serious person.
fogey, old fogey, conservative, traditionalist, conventionalist, diehard, conformist, bourgeois, museum piece, fossil, dinosaur, troglodyteView synonyms
- ‘Well-crafted dialogue will indicate if a character is smart or dumb, honest or dishonest, amusing or an old sobersides.’
- ‘My father was the funny one, and I grew up a sobersides.’
- ‘Fred may develop into such a careful old sobersides that his mother will be ashamed of him.’
- ‘Fay is no sobersides, but amusement was not his intent.’
- ‘He has played many quips and pranks, as if to assure me he is no old sobersides.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.