Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A stout-bodied fish of tropical seas that produces large amounts of toxic mucus from the skin, giving it a soapy feel when handled.
- ‘There were plenty of unusual sightings - I came across dwarf lionfish, stonefish, toadfish, frogfish and a six-striped soapfish, which I later discovered to be quite a toxic species.’
- ‘A rare species of electric ray was recently discovered here, and this is also one of the shallowest places the golden soapfish has ever been seen (it was previously thought only to inhabit areas in excess of 50m).’
- ‘Although not all are brightly hued, the soapfishes are very interesting to watch in the home aquarium.’
- ‘It is interesting that the white spotted soapfish is probably the fish most closely tied to reef structure.’
- ‘As with all soapfish, if stressed, it may release a toxic substance from the skin that could kill itself and all tankmates.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.