One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A shallow receptacle for a bar of soap.‘a white ceramic soap dish’
- ‘The walls and floors are covered by ceramic tiles, the mirrors are lit perfectly for a close shave, and a soap dish and long-handled back scrubber would not look out of place alongside the huge, steaming cauldrons behind the takeout counter.’
- ‘He can almost imagine the sound it makes, a sucking noise, like pulling one of those rubber soap dishes away from the bath.’
- ‘I really feel sorry for people who think things like soap dishes, mirrors, or drinks bottles are ugly, because they're surrounded by things like that all day long and it must make them miserable.’
- ‘It can stay germ-free if you drain the water from the soap dish daily or store bars in slotted dishes for easy drainage.’
- ‘Don't forget to co-ordinate mirrors, toilet-roll holders, and soap dishes, which can all help create your desired look.’
- ‘I wanted a simple plastic soap dish with narrow ridges or something to keep the soap off the bottom.’
- ‘The pools were all different sizes, but each of them had a soap dish and a towel next to it.’
- ‘A general rule is to have two to three counter accessories, such as a tooth brush holder, cup holder, and soap dish.’
- ‘He stepped into the bathroom and was overwhelmed by the way every fixture, soap dish, toothbrush holder, and towel bar had been tweaked, machined, and reconfigured by the designer to produce "an extraordinary experience".’
- ‘I tend to obsess over the little details no one would notice—the teensy rust stain in my sink or the chip in my soap dish—and the next thing you know, I've redecorated the whole bathroom.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.