One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A permanent wide expanse of snow in mountainous or polar regions.
- ‘I stood and slowly turned 360 degrees, taking a long look at river, woods, meadow, valley, sea, mountains, snowfields, and glaciers.’
- ‘During my isolation, I was presented with a image of a Thunderbird formed by the shadow of a cloud on a snowfield atop a nearby mountain.’
- ‘Then sunlight breaks through, catching the tops of the snowfields on the mountains and lighting up rows of orange poplars.’
- ‘After a quarter mile, we turn off into a steep hillside broken by blocky outcrops of granite interspersed with snowfields and patches of green.’
- ‘They reached South Georgia after 17 days in mountainous seas, but still faced a 22-mile trek across unexplored mountains, glaciers and snowfields to get help.’
- ‘They had to cross the mountains, glaciers and snowfields to reach the whaling station on the other side.’
- ‘You'll encounter a challenging mix of steep ascents and descents punctuated with alpine streams, snowfields and lush meadows.’
- ‘Fighting fierce winds, he traverses the high ridge above Rendezvous Bowl - one of the vast, steep snowfields at the Jackson Hole Mountain Resort, in Wyoming - hauling a backpack loaded with explosives.’
- ‘Glaciers and snowfields are essential stores of water - which keep rivers running and fields irrigated through the long, dry summer.’
- ‘The bright light, high ultraviolet radiation, and cool temperatures of the snowfields where many species of snow algae are found would destroy a houseplant, according to Williams.’
- ‘From under the granular crust of a subalpine snowfield sprang forth life as tender and fresh as a butterfly's newly unfolded wings.’
- ‘Kyrgyzstan is a mountainous country with many snowfields, glaciers, and deep lakes.’
- ‘If you were to compare photographs taken of, say, an alpine view in Victorian times with one taken today you would immediately notice how the glaciers and snowfields have shrunk.’
- ‘We'll take just our day packs up these ridges during our seven-day circuit of the mountain, when lingering snowfields add drama, and wildflowers are at their most sublime.’
- ‘The only way to descend without slipping is to dig in heel-first, like a mountaineer coming down a snowfield.’
- ‘On the bike tour through Montana's Glacier Park, for example, you'll average 60 mountainous miles of cycling per day, cycling past glacial snowfields and tumbling waterfalls.’
- ‘They predict that in the next half a decade or so, the Himalayas could experience intense flooding as mountain lakes overflow with water from melting glaciers and snowfields.’
- ‘This forested 3-mile loop follows the clear, icy waters of the rushing Ohanapecosh River as it tumbles down from glaciers and snowfields above.’
- ‘A vast snowfield, feeding many glaciers, lay at our feet, rock-peaks and snow-covered mountains were ranged around it, whilst, far away to the westward we could just see through the haze of the valley of the Columbia River.’
- ‘The climate of Victoria is characterised by a range of different climate zones, from the hot, dry Mallee region of the northwest to the alpine snowfields in the northeast of Victoria.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.