One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A day on which a school or other institution is closed due to heavy snowfall or other extreme winter weather.
- ‘A lot of kids got snow days today including my daughter who gets to sleep in this morning.’
- ‘Unnecessary driving was banned and schoolchildren who began the week with a summerlike Columbus Day holiday ended it with a snow day.’
- ‘Criminals don't take snow days and neither should crime fighters.’
- ‘Seven inches of snow fell around Chicago yesterday and kids were treated to a springtime snow day.’
- ‘Georgia's governor is trying to save fuel by declaring snow days for public schools.’
- ‘If one snow day is good, three snow days are even better.’
- ‘I guess hurricanes are the Caribbean equivalent to a snow day in the United States (but on a much grander scale IMHO!).’
- ‘No matter how old you grow, you never forget the rare and special magic associated with a snow day.’
- ‘Kids got treated to a springtime snow day, while plow operators picked up a little unexpected overtime.’
- ‘Growing up in western New York, I had my share of snow days, but not as many as you might think.’
- ‘Their home network however, has made snow days as well as sick days a thing of the past.’
- ‘I heard there've been over a dozen school snow days, compared to three or four a season in recent years.’
- ‘Last month, when the Washington private school where he sends Sasha and Malia called a snow day, Obama said DC needed to toughen up.’
- ‘We had a rare snow day in Seattle.’
- ‘It's now been snowing non-stop for about ten hours, and the local TV stations are declaring it a record-breaking Texas snow day.’
- ‘Alas, my commute is three minutes on foot, so today will not be a snow day.’
- ‘Here's hoping for another delightful snow day soon, to be spent at home in bed with an ice cream sundae.’
- ‘According to the report, burglars were as likely to call a snow day as the rest of us.’
- ‘But to truly enjoy a snow day, one must pretend that one cannot leave the house.’
- ‘Snow days are fun, but they make the rest of the week way too crowded.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.