One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A day on which a school or other institution is closed due to heavy snowfall or other extreme winter weather.
- ‘Here's hoping for another delightful snow day soon, to be spent at home in bed with an ice cream sundae.’
- ‘Alas, my commute is three minutes on foot, so today will not be a snow day.’
- ‘Their home network however, has made snow days as well as sick days a thing of the past.’
- ‘A lot of kids got snow days today including my daughter who gets to sleep in this morning.’
- ‘If one snow day is good, three snow days are even better.’
- ‘Unnecessary driving was banned and schoolchildren who began the week with a summerlike Columbus Day holiday ended it with a snow day.’
- ‘Last month, when the Washington private school where he sends Sasha and Malia called a snow day, Obama said DC needed to toughen up.’
- ‘Growing up in western New York, I had my share of snow days, but not as many as you might think.’
- ‘We had a rare snow day in Seattle.’
- ‘But to truly enjoy a snow day, one must pretend that one cannot leave the house.’
- ‘Snow days are fun, but they make the rest of the week way too crowded.’
- ‘I guess hurricanes are the Caribbean equivalent to a snow day in the United States (but on a much grander scale IMHO!).’
- ‘Seven inches of snow fell around Chicago yesterday and kids were treated to a springtime snow day.’
- ‘No matter how old you grow, you never forget the rare and special magic associated with a snow day.’
- ‘Kids got treated to a springtime snow day, while plow operators picked up a little unexpected overtime.’
- ‘Georgia's governor is trying to save fuel by declaring snow days for public schools.’
- ‘Criminals don't take snow days and neither should crime fighters.’
- ‘I heard there've been over a dozen school snow days, compared to three or four a season in recent years.’
- ‘According to the report, burglars were as likely to call a snow day as the rest of us.’
- ‘It's now been snowing non-stop for about ten hours, and the local TV stations are declaring it a record-breaking Texas snow day.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.