One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A pair or set of meshes of metal chain, fitted around a vehicle's tires to give extra traction in snow.
- ‘However, they can't work miracles and if there's a danger of serious snowfall snow chains would be advisable - Halfords has a range to fit most popular vehicles at £54.99 a pair.’
- ‘Let's face it, Sweden means Abba, free love, blond birds, and Volvos with snow chains - doesn't it?’
- ‘Okay, well, I suppose I should take the snow chains off my tires eh?’
- ‘Our vehicle started sliding, so it was time to put snow chains on.’
- ‘Travel to Greece and Turkey requires drivers to have vehicles equipped with snow chains in order to be allowed to cross the border.’
- ‘People think the answer is snow chains, but these can sometimes be dangerous as we found out a couple of years ago when one set broke free causing damage to the side of an ambulance.’
- ‘As we descended through the mountains, chalets groaned under foot-deep accumulations of snow; there were javelin-sized icicles, sparkling snowdrifts, children sledging, adults struggling with snow chains.’
- ‘It's on Peninsula Lake, in the picturesque North Muskoka region, handy for the Algonquin park and perfect for year-round canoeing, hiking and riding (although snow chains and snowshoes are required in winter).’
- ‘None of his drivers want to spend Thanksgiving at New Hampshire Speedway because 1) it's Thanksgiving and 2) it's November in New Hampshire, and stock cars don't go so fast on snow chains.’
- ‘You're asking for trouble if you don't have them, although it's also worth paying the small supplement for a set of snow chains - and working out how to put them on before you get caught in a snowstorm.’
- ‘The new (nearly new) car wouldn't take the snow chains and I wished, for the first time in years, for a 4x4 and vowed to get a pair of old wheels with knobby treads.’
- ‘A revolutionary new product proven to be more effective than winter tyres or snow chains is now being stocked in Kendal.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.