One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An unanticipated coastal wave that is much greater in force and height than the waves preceding it.
- ‘Hey, Rusty, you told us earlier that you were expecting some sneaker waves.’
- ‘A sneaker wave crashes in unexpectedly, inundating an unsuspecting eagle with a sudden foam bath.’
- ‘Walking along Harris Beach, Oregon I turned to see this 'sneaker wave' roll in.’
- ‘In early 2004, a person at McClures Beach was killed when she was knocked off a rock by a sneaker wave.’
- ‘These sneaker waves happen at various degrees every day regardless of whether or how rough the sea is and even during little surf.’
- ‘It was a fun time at Christmas and I remember my Dad having great fun when a sneaker wave caught me and soaked me.’
- ‘Beware the sneaker wave.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.