One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small drum in the form of a short cylinder with a membrane at each end, the upper one being struck with hard sticks and the lower one fitted with snares. It originated in military use.
- ‘You could hear a baby cry and a bird chirp and the sound of bagpipes and snare drums.’
- ‘At first, he helped carry the bass drum, and later played the snare drum.’
- ‘Their studio also has a large collection of snare drums.’
- ‘I don't use any samples at all; the kick drums, snare drums, tom toms, everything is real.’
- ‘We sent away to Germany one year for a few snare drums.’
- ‘Using only his bare hands, the drummer, Johnny Cobra, would sit slapping the busted head of the snare drum.’
- ‘On my left he played the saxophone and on my right he slapped against the snare drum.’
- ‘The simplest sounds - the rustle of a snare drum, a snatch of vocals looped repeatedly - induce a trancelike state.’
- ‘It opens with the flute and snare drums joined then by the trumpet in a festive mood.’
- ‘The snare drum was part of a second-hand kit on internet auction site ebay.’
- ‘By the late 1990s, electric guitars, keyboards, and snare drums were common in urban areas.’
- ‘Snare drums strike up an ominous patter that warns the audience this is a trick with real danger.’
- ‘Predictably, snare drums conjure up images of US troops hastily moving through the desert.’
- ‘The sound is almost like brushes on a snare drum.’
- ‘The rest of the instruments cut out except for James ' soft steady beat on the snare drum.’
- ‘The snare drum erupts, introducing the third movement.’
- ‘Let me state hangovers and snare drums don't mix.’
- ‘I play guitar, bass drum, a tambourine on my foot and a snare drum.’
- ‘The snare drum of the set resembles the side drum of the symphony orchestra - both drums derive from the medieval tabor.’
- ‘On another session, I placed the mic above a snare drum that was hit with blast sticks.’
Probably from Middle Low German and Middle Dutch snare ‘harp string’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.