One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A marine fish that is typically reddish and is valued as food.
a fish of a widespread tropical family (Lutjanidae, the snapper family) that snaps its toothed jaws. See also red snapper
- ‘On the shallow reef shelter schools of humpbacked and bluelined snappers, oriental sweetlips and yet more fat, docile groupers.’
- ‘This is a fantastic summer main course, served with a crunchy green salad on the side. Use a firm, flaky white fish such as snapper, cod or sea bass.’
- ‘Common fish which can give ciguatera fish poisoning include groupers, barracudas, snappers, and mackerel.’
- ‘The wrecks are home to a wide variety of corals and marine life including angelfish, barracudas, margates, sharks, snappers and turtles.’
- ‘Small hard-skinned fish such as snappers, grouper, breams and hind should be gutted and scaled on capture and kept in slurry.’
2another term for snapping turtle
- ‘The snapper is Canada's largest freshwater turtle. It can attain a shell length of 45 cm and weights exceeding 15 kg. Its serpentine neck, massive head, muscular legs, and relatively long tail make it seem even larger.’
3British informal A photographer.
- ‘Beside them, though, was a crowd of mobile phone-weilding snappers hoping for momentary fame as their grainy pictures were picked up by Sky or the BBC.’
- ‘Five keen snappers received free photography tuition from a professional in a project supported by the Greater Woolwich neighbourhood renewal panel.’
- ‘Digital cameras have revolutionised the world of photography, but many snappers are shocked when they realise just how much it costs to print those fabulous pictures of little Emily.’
- ‘In the second show of Nunnnington Hall's spring and summer programme, the iconic photography of British snapper Terry O'Neill will be on view from May 1 to June 25.’
- ‘In two years' time, the majority of holiday snappers will be wielding digital cameras.’
4A paper cracker, or the part of a cracker that makes a bang.
- ‘Insert the snapper, party favours and confetti or decorative shred into the roll. Make sure the ends of the snapper extend beyond the end of the cracker.’
- ‘Insert pull-snapper so that the ends protrude equally from the ends of the tube.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.