One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A freshwater fish with a broad, heavily scaled head and a long cylindrical body, native to tropical Africa and Asia.
Family Channidae: several genera and species
- ‘The snakehead, a particularly nasty beast of a fish from Asia, is highly aggressive and a voracious predator.’
- ‘Battle against snakeheads in Pine Lake in Wheaton, Md., began in April with temporary removal of native fish before lake drainage (top).’
- ‘Besides figuring out a way to eliminate the snakeheads from the Crofton pond, the group is likely to recommend searching for snakeheads in other freshwater bodies.’
- ‘The snakehead is native to the Yangtze River region of China and is capable of wiping out all the species of one pond and moving on its belly and fins to the next pond.’
- ‘The aquarium industry is already recognized as a source of freshwater invasive species such as the snakehead.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.