Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A small fish of cool or cold seas, with loose jellylike skin and typically a ventral sucker.Also called sea snail
- ‘In these extreme northern latitudes of Baffin Bay, bycatch consisted primarily of gelatinous snailfish, Arctic skate, and four-beard rockling.’
- ‘A single-eyed immature male round snailfish Careproctus roseofuscus with length of 331 mm and weight of 650 g was caught in the Pacific waters off the northern Kurile Islands in September 2000.’
- ‘Liparid snailfish in the genus Careproctus extrude eggs through an anteriorly positioned ovipositor into the branchial chambers of large lithodid crabs.’
- ‘This showy snailfish lacks the purple stripes displayed by other specimens.’
- ‘Many snailfishes have large eggs and very low fecundities which would suggest some form of parental care.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.