A small fish of cool or cold seas, with loose jellylike skin and typically a ventral sucker.Also called sea snail
- ‘This showy snailfish lacks the purple stripes displayed by other specimens.’
- ‘In these extreme northern latitudes of Baffin Bay, bycatch consisted primarily of gelatinous snailfish, Arctic skate, and four-beard rockling.’
- ‘Liparid snailfish in the genus Careproctus extrude eggs through an anteriorly positioned ovipositor into the branchial chambers of large lithodid crabs.’
- ‘A single-eyed immature male round snailfish Careproctus roseofuscus with length of 331 mm and weight of 650 g was caught in the Pacific waters off the northern Kurile Islands in September 2000.’
- ‘Many snailfishes have large eggs and very low fecundities which would suggest some form of parental care.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.