Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A confused or chaotic state; a mess.‘an enormous amount of my time was devoted to untangling snafus’
commotion, uproar, outcry, disturbance, hubbub, hurly-burly, fuss, upset, tumult, brouhaha, palaver, to-do, pother, turmoil, tempest, agitation, pandemonium, confusionView synonyms
- ‘In recent years the defense and aerospace giant has weathered operational snafus, ethical scandals, criminal convictions, and abrupt executive departures.’
- ‘Soon the entire situation spirals out of control into a tragicomic mess of blunders, language barriers, bureaucratic snafus, and spin control.’
- ‘In a snafu worthy of WCW, the ring wasn't miked properly which made most of the moves and almost all pinfall attempts come off like watching a silent movie.’
- ‘After arriving, we encountered a few administrative snafus, but we quickly surmounted them, and we were set to start carrier ops the next day.’
- ‘Should a snafu come to public attention, and there is a free press to ask embarrassing questions and point accusatory fingers, then they can see their careers end overnight.’
In utter confusion or chaos.‘our refrigeration plant is snafu’
- ‘In a follow-up to the seaweed snafu news of these past weeks, we can report that some of the weed has been dispersed but there remains a persistent pungency in the on-shore breeze.’
verb[WITH OBJECT]North american
Throw (a situation) into chaos.‘you ignored his orders and snafued everything’
- ‘Accounts differ about what happened to snafu that deal, but because it didn't go through, IBM contacted a small company called Microsoft.’
1940s: acronym from situation normal: all fouled (or fucked) up.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.