(of talk, writing, or pictures) obscene or lascivious.‘smutty jokes’
vulgar, dirty, rude, filthy, crude, offensive, salacious, coarse, obscene, indecent, lewd, pornographic, x-rated, risqué, racy, broad, earthy, bawdy, rabelaisian, spicy, suggestive, titillating, Improper, naughty, indelicate, indecorous, ribald, off colour, locker-roomView synonyms
- ‘Last year a bunch of staff at The New York Times were fired for sending ‘offensive’ and smutty emails.’
- ‘The problem with every generation as they get older is to view their own childhood through rose-coloured spectacles and state quite narrow-mindedly that this current generation is smutty, disrespectful and crass.’
- ‘The lyrics to this very hummable song are extremely naughty, not smutty or crude, just enjoyably naughty.’
- ‘Pushing 60 but still displaying the sensibility of a naughty schoolboy, Waters displays a real penchant for smutty innuendo and an ever growing catalogue of euphemisms.’
- ‘Like all successful infomercials he uses sexual desire to sell his product, with the animators relishing in the opportunity to create smutty and suggestive scenes.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.