One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The quality or state of being smooth.‘the smoothness of her skin’‘the evacuation went off with remarkable smoothness’
evenness, levelness, flatness, plainnessclean-shavenness, smooth-shavenness, hairlessnessglossiness, gloss, shine, shininess, gleam, glassiness, sheen, lustre, brightness, sleekness, silkiness, polish, burnishcreaminess, even consistencycalmness, stillness, tranquillity, placidness, serenity, evenness, flatness, glassinesssteadiness, smooth running, regularity, rhythm, rhythmicity, freedom from interruption, flow, frictionlessness, fluidity, fluencystraightforwardness, ease, easiness, effortlessness, simplicitymellowness, mildness, pleasantness, blandness, softnesssoftness, mellowness, sweetness, sweet sound, sweet tone, prettiness, silveriness, mellifluousness, melodiousness, musicality, lilt, lyricism, harmony, euphonysuaveness, urbaneness, urbanity, sophistication, polish, finish, courteousness, grace, smooth talking, glibness, persuasiveness, slickness, oiliness, ingratiation, unctuousnessView synonyms
- ‘The end surfaces of the ruby rod were ground flat and parallel and were polished to extreme smoothness.’
- ‘But it works: smoothness, ripe red and black fruit flavours and vibrant acidity sparkle from this wine.’
- ‘Side-by-side, it just lacks the aroma of Gold Blend, but delivers an equal smoothness and flavour on the palate and finish.’
- ‘The butter taste was rich and tantalising, while the smoothness of the fresh cream and yoghurt mix was offset by a kick of almond and sultana.’
- ‘Kerry has the experience, credentials and smoothness to thwart Clark and Edwards.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.