One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The ability or tendency to use insincere flattery or persuasion.‘your smooth tongue could even turn your mistakes to your advantage’
- ‘There may be, indeed, a smooth tongue, where there is a false heart.’
- ‘God, it wasn't fair for God to give a man both looks and the smooth tongue.’
- ‘While Klink senses that his American counterpart isn't as helpful as he seems, Hogan manages to assuage his concerns with a smooth tongue, playing to Klink's ego and fears.’
- ‘If there's one more thing I don't like about you, it's that smooth tongue of yours.’
- ‘‘You look stunning, Kathleen,’ Brett said with a smile, maintaining his smooth tongue from his womanizing days and his job as a criminal lawyer.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.