One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Charming or flattering language, especially when used to persuade someone to do something.
flattery, blarney, blandishments, honeyed wordsView synonyms
- ‘I knew how close Andy and Vicki were, and I knew that Andy was the one that had been warning her against my smooth talk.’
- ‘Behind the suit and smooth talk this man is a criminal who has organised and financed murder and torture.’
- ‘His name was Val, he had a wife somewhere, and he thought he was irresistible to the ladies, with his stylish toupee, his swagger, his smooth talk in both French and English, and his shiny new cars.’
- ‘Despite Bush's smooth talk in New York yesterday, his position remains that America does not need a ‘permission slip’ from anybody to do anything.’
- ‘Some bullies are active and aggressive; others are reserved and manipulative, relying on smooth talk and lies.’
Use flattering language to (someone), especially to persuade them to do something.‘don't try to smooth-talk me’
persuasive, plausible, credible, silver-tongued, smooth-tongued, smooth-spoken, slick, glib, eloquent, fast-talking, suave, ingratiating, silky, unctuous, obsequious, fawning, sycophantic, flatteringView synonyms
- ‘An 82-year-old widow who lost more than £14,000 when a smooth-talking con man convinced her she had won a huge windfall on the Canadian lottery warned other people not to be taken in.’
- ‘‘Well, if I look that good and you smooth talk him that much, we probably can land that interview you want with him,’ Roxanne said.’
- ‘Find out how a smooth-talking felon managed to build trust and make friends in a small town.’
- ‘The momentum is maintained throughout, with 007 pitted against yet more villains intent on world domination, armed with his usual array of glib one-liners, smooth-talking charm and life-saving gadgets.’
- ‘This time around it's Jude Law who shows us the sexy as a smooth-talking philanderer in a modern day version of the classic.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.