One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Make someone less angry or irritated by using soothing words.
- ‘I think this upset him a bit and I had to smooth his ruffled feathers via email.’
- ‘I muttered darkly, not liking the fact that he so easily smoothed my ruffled feathers.’
- ‘A little lie would indubitably make things all better, smooth Jake's ruffled feathers, and make everything in my life shiny again.’
- ‘He shook his head and laughed in merriment as if to smooth Big Freddie's ruffled feathers.’
- ‘I know I've stepped over the line and should probably smooth her ruffled feathers.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.