A small European shark that typically lives close to the bottom in shallow waters.
- ‘According to official landing statistics, the number of smooth hounds being fished has decreased steadily during the last 20 years, most probably being an indication from severe over-fishing.’
- ‘These smooth hounds can regularly reach double figures and provide fantastic sport to light balanced tackle.’
- ‘The local fishermen are familiar with smooth hounds as they generally make up 80 percent of the day's catch; it is possible that they had overlooked the new species in previous catches.’
- ‘Starry smooth hounds are common throughout the entire Mediterranean over continental shelf, including Adriatic and Sea of Marmara.’
- ‘Mainly we anchor and fish into or over the banks, this normally produces good results with bass showing at the tops of the banks and smooth hounds and thornbacks in the gullies.’