One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A smoked haddock.
- ‘The first dish that literally made my mouth water was a warm timbale of Arbroath smokies.’
- ‘As for raw ingredients, the list is endless: from humble Ayrshire bacon, black pudding and Arbroath smokies to some of the finest game, beef and lamb you will find anywhere in the world; the choice is vast.’
- ‘Smoked fish is now eaten all year round - but juicy kippers, smoked Finnan haddock or delicious Arbroath smokies are still especially tempting round about now.’
- ‘I like places where you can dine on things like Arbroath smokies with eggs and colcannon [mashed potato with cabbage].’
- ‘A list of Scotland's top foods could also have included Cullen skink, Arbroath smokies, West Coast scallops, langoustines, herring and Ayrshire potatoes.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.