One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A shed or room for curing food by exposure to smoke.
hut, lean-to, outhouse, outbuilding, shackView synonyms
- ‘Connemara Smokehouse is one of the few remaining smokehouses specialising in Wild smoked, marinated and roast Irish salmon.’
- ‘The ancient art of smoking fish is still thriving in smokehouses around Britain.’
- ‘He smoked his own hams in his smokehouse and fed his pigs some of the peaches from his trees to make them more succulent.’
- ‘The Burren Smokehouse is a traditional smokehouse producing quality oak smoked Irish salmon, trout, mackerel and eel.’
- ‘A century ago there were more than 40 smokehouses in Hull, curing thousands of tonnes of fish landed at the docks.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.