1An oven for smoking food.
2The chamber in a steam engine or boiler between the flues and the funnel or chimney stack.
- ‘Slipping at starting was rare, however, due to a very careful design of regulator valve in the smokebox; very small adjustments could be achieved, and any slip could be quickly checked.’
- ‘No. 815 was typical of earlier years with its old style headlight with built-in number light mounted atop the smokebox, and a square cut tender which was designed for better visibility when backing up.’
- ‘On 610-614 the combustion chamber ahead of the smokebox was made a foot longer; the tubes and flues, thus reduced a foot in length, were, at 20 feet long, precisely the length needed for best absorption of heat.’
- ‘As noted above, the locomotive continued down the track after the explosion for over a quarter mile; thus the smokebox door was somewhat east of where No.3020 finally stopped.’
- ‘Operation probably isn't possible without a whole new boiler, and the holey smokebox will need heavy patching even if it doesn't get one.’
3another term for smoker (sense 4)
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.