One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Fog or haze combined with smoke and other atmospheric pollutants.
exhaust fumes, fumes, smoke, pollution, gasView synonyms
- ‘Cars and trucks are major contributors to smog which is a serious health problem in Central and Eastern Canada.’
- ‘In the Green, not the smell of cut grass and flowers, but rather the stink of traffic smog and semi stagnant water in the pond.’
- ‘All I remember in the air in 1977 was smog from all the coal-burning chimneys.’
- ‘And when the heat has nowhere to go it reacts with pollutants, such as car fumes, to cause smog.’
- ‘The clouds of smog and smoke did block out a good bit of the sun, meaning it shouldn't be too hot for travel.’
- ‘If there is a quantity of smoke or other airborne pollutant particles present, it is known as smog.’
- ‘The size and shape of the various buildings can also affect wind patterns, causing perfect conditions for smog to occur.’
- ‘The rain has a way of cleaning the dust and smog out of the air making things appear especially vivid and clear.’
- ‘He looked up at the sky, but the clouds and smog obstructed the view of the stars.’
- ‘Exhaust fumes from cars and factories make for a toxic, suffocating smog that hangs over the city.’
- ‘As a source of smog and a severe global warming aggravator, coal is still king.’
- ‘Since sunlight and heat are precursors of smog, the hot weather makes air pollution worse.’
- ‘Lavanya cannot believe our clear atmosphere after London smog and fog, the huge horizon and the sunsets.’
- ‘People in Tanzania cook using firewood at home with smog around them.’
- ‘In the city the snow had long lost its Persil whiteness, and seemed bruised by the dirt and smog that seeps into everything here sooner or later.’
- ‘The infamous London smog is an example of extreme air pollution.’
- ‘Mowing a lawn for half an hour with a gasoline engine makes as much smog as driving a new car 170 miles.’
- ‘As I look out of my window now, I see a layer of thick smog clinging to the buildings around the city.’
- ‘Ethanol has also been found to contribute to smog in arid climate due to its volatile nature.’
- ‘The Bay of Naples is still breathtaking if you can see it through the smog and the smoke from Vesuvio.’
Early 20th century: blend of smoke and fog.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.