One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Decoration on a garment created by gathering a section of the material into tight pleats and holding them together with parallel stitches in an ornamental pattern.
- ‘The latest fad in the world of fashion is to go in for fusion wears, which is an intricate mix of conventional patterns with contemporary smocking.’
- ‘Because the smocking is done as an insert rather than at the top of the skirt front piece, the skirt length will need to be shortened.’
- ‘The stitchers display dazzling skill and finesse, creating textured surfaces of petit point, needlepoint, beading, embroidery, appliqué, smocking and macramé.’
- ‘Scallop-edged eyelet and smocking provide a summery look, regardless of the season.’
- ‘Siobhan O'Musca's fingers flew as she gathered and tacked the smocking on the bodice of the ivory-colored ball gown.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.