One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1An installation or factory for smelting a metal from its ore.
- ‘If everyone recycled the aluminum cans they used, there would be no need for new smelters…’
- ‘I wouldn't want to live under any other arrangement, but it only can only create alloys are as good or bad as the raw ore that's fed into the smelter.’
- ‘Emissions of sulfur dioxide and metals from smelters can cause damage to surrounding terrestrial and aquatic ecosystems.’
- ‘At-risk children may also live in areas with industries nearby such as lead smelters or battery recycling plants that have emitted lead dust into the air and soil.’
- ‘Cransberg, who will be based at the company's New York office, will have responsibility for Alcoa's 13 primary aluminum smelters in the U.S. and Canada.’
- 1.1 A person engaged in the business of smelting.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.