One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Excellent; wonderful.‘you look smashing!’
wonderful, marvellous, excellent, splendid, magnificent, superb, amazing, glorious, sublime, lovely, delightfulView synonyms
- ‘Letting famous film directors direct operas has resulted in both smashing successes and dismal failures.’
- ‘Thank you everyone, marvellous entertainment and smashing, friendly people, lots of them!’
- ‘But as the years go by, we realize what a smashing wonderful star she was.’
- ‘Reaction to his role in MIT was excellent, he says, with ‘some lovely reviews and smashing comments’.’
- ‘All indications suggest it will be a smashing success.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.