One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
adverb & adjectiveNorth American
(of a style of play in sports) aggressive and confrontational.‘we're coming into this game ready to play smash-mouth because we know that's the type of game it's going to be’
- ‘The Vikings' offensive line has the brawn to play a smash-mouth style of football.’
- ‘The line should allow the Seahawks to play smash-mouth football when the game situation or weather dictates.’
- ‘The AFC North makes up for a lack of flashiness with Steel Belt fans, hard-nosed players, and old-fashioned smash-mouth football that's played outdoors.’
- ‘He plays a tough, physical style that should enhance the team's desire to play a smash-mouth style with RB William Green.’
- ‘‘We are still a power running team,’ says coordinator Mike Mularkey, who prefers ‘that smash-mouth style of football.’’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.