Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A know-it-all or a smart aleck.
- ‘‘Right you are, little miss smarty,’ Taylor said, ‘but unfortunately I can't sleep so I can't go to sleep.’’
- ‘You were stuck in this place, you suddenly realized, and now the smarties had moved to another place where they were now thinking of stupid as a style thing, as attitude, as even just another kind of intelligence.’
- ‘It's also arty, smarty: Remember that a one-time billboard painter filming an actress' backside is ‘art’.’
- ‘But in the end, the ship disappeared and no one ever heard from the ten smarties again.’
- ‘For Salkind and the other seven smarties, the only thing to do now is go home and wait.’
- ‘What I said was ‘I hadn't heard about one of them ’, but I presume some subeditor was being a smarty and thought my grammar was bad and that I meant ‘I hadn't heard about any of them’.’
- ‘They were not internet smarties or radical nuts, they were very ordinary, nice people.’
- ‘We beat the hell outta a buncha smarty future-lawyer type boys in both games we bowled.’
- ‘She is a smarty, answers back to me (especially when her father is not around) and is exceptionally wilful.’
- ‘Time and time again President Reagan went against what the smug smarties inside the beltway and on the TV tube said.’
- ‘‘Okay, miss smarty,’ snarled Mari, ‘how are we supposed to find which way is west?’’
- ‘You're supposed to pull out my chair, smarty.’
- ‘We're pretty sure the parents won't go for that, smarty!’
- ‘All I'm worried about, smarty, is remembering my lines and putting on a good performance.’
- ‘He is too brash, too much of a smarty, for some of his colleagues.’
2dated A smartly dressed person; a member of the smart set.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.